Saturday 1 June 2013

Adventures of Hand Made'n

I've been taking dance lessons at a local studio and once a month they have a free dance class followed by a dance party. These dances all have themes and this latest one was a Superhero theme.

I was trying to think of something creative and I most definitely wanted to make it, not buy a purchased costume. None of the superheros I could find online seemed to fit my persona so I came up with one, I am Hand Made'n; crafter of justice and maker of... things?...

I drew up a sketch initially to see if my idea looked good on paper and to get some friends opinions on the concept, could I make this work?





All signs pointed to 'yes', so I began searching for the base of my costume. 

I was out at the mall with a friend and our littlest kiddos and we stumbled upon a closing sale. Normally this store isn't the right 'fit' for my style, but we checked it out anyway. Amazing deals! Blue tights, green shorts, yellow tank and a fitted white tank (that I later dyed blue). It all seemed to work and surprisingly I didn't feel self-concious in the electric blue tights. 


After dyeing my shirt and making myself some arm bands, a cape and a belt it was looking pretty legit. Throw in some black boots I found for $7 at the thrift store, it was complete.  


Because I wear glasses, I didn't think a mask would be suitable nor would it be comfortable, so I went without. Instead I did some crazy over the top blue and green eye makeup from the bridge of my nose out to my hairline on either side, which I sadly did not get a picture of.

The dance was awesome and I was the only one with a handmade costume, and all in all, I think mine was the best :)

Now, how can I fit these electric blue tights into my regular wardrobe?

Stay crafty my friends, 

Adelle

No comments:

Post a Comment