Saturday 23 July 2011

She rolled... and rolled... and rolled...

...and I didn't get to see it :(

So my chubby 5 1/2 mth old still had not rolled yet up till yesterday. And I was fine with it because it meant when I put her down, she would stay there. But now all that has changed, and I didn't get to see it!

I had to go out last night to get some household items and groceries. When I returned I was told that my dear sweet baby rolled over and over... and over.

I must say I was a little upset about it. But then to hear that she rolled repeatedly again this morning while I wasn't around made me even more upset... How can I be a stay-at-home mom and still miss these milestones? I then sat on the couch and stared at her for the longest time hoping to catch her doing it. And nothing. I layed down beside her coaxing her with my voice... and when that didn't work I used one of her favourite toys. She would almost roll, have her one leg over, knee touching the ground but the upper part of her body stayed put. She was taunting me...

I then moved to the couch again and stared at her. My older daughter distracted me and when I looked back at my littlest one she was on her stomach! Was she toying with me??? Was she doing this on purpose??? I promptly put her on her back again and resumed my hawk-eye stare... waiting... waiting... Two near attempts failed and she rolled back to starting position as I sighed in dis-belief. Then... suddenly... her exertion paid off and she made it all the way over! The angels sang, the trumpets blared and Mommy was happy once again.

And then I thought to myself... I just spent an hour waiting for this amazing and beautiful thing, which I indeed am thrilled about... But now I have more things to worry about. Now her reach is longer, her mobility is more... um... pronounced? And crawling is next... I'm sooooo not ready for this!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you know what they say "A watched tot never rolls" ;)

    ReplyDelete