Thursday 28 July 2011

What a pain in the butt

I am embarrassed to admit it but I can't hide it anymore... I have Piriformis syndrome. I think I have had it since the birth of my first daughter, almost 4 yrs ago. I have been seeing a physio therapist for some other issues I have, also baby/pregnancy related in my back and neck for a couple of months now. I finally mentioned something to him about my 'butt pain' at last weeks appointment.

I wasn't sure what he'd say... or what the treatment would be and I REALLY didn't want him to have to touch or look at the problem area but I knew I had to do something, it's too painful. Just touching the 'area' hurts like the whole thing is bruised.

So last week he did a treatment with the tens machine and ice followed by ultrasound therapy and some good old active release therapy... OUCH! Today was acupuncture and ultrasound.

Apparently piriformis syndrome is very common, he told me. Even he has suffered from this terrible pain in the butt. I have some stretches I'm supposed to do that will help and I'm supposed to ice it when it gets really bad.

And no, I don't know why I feel the need to share this with everyone... maybe it's because I don't want to be embarrassed about it anymore... maybe it's to help you, yeah you, you know who you are. You, with the butt pain... You are not alone. Chances are if you've had a desk job, ridden a bike, carried a baby... you've had or do have this pain. Take comfort my friend, there is help but it does involve having someone, possibly a perfect stranger give your derriere some much needed attention.

2 comments:

  1. It has a name!!! Oh, heavens, I had this SO badly when I was pregnant with Ellie, but the dr and phys therapists never told me what it was. Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still have it now? It's so annoying! I'm really hoping we can get rid of it. The therapy hurts :(

    ReplyDelete